2 kids among 7 of Maha family killed in blaze | India News

CHHATRAPATI SAMBHAJINAGAR: All seven members of a family, including a pregnant woman and two kids, were charred to death after a fire engulfed a cloth store-cum-tailoring shop in Dana Bazaar area of Aurangabad Cantonment early Wednesday.
An electric bike that had been plugged in for charging in the tailoring shop is believed to have triggered the blaze that erupted around 3am.Large bundles of clothes and fabric stored in the shop were reduced to ashes and the flames soon spread to the two floors above.
Tailor Shaikh Aslam and his family members – residents of the first floor – managed to escape with help from locals. Third-floor resident Irfan Khan and his wife too managed to evacuate. The family living on the second floor, however, failed to make it. The deceased were identified as Hamida Begum (49), her sons Waseem (30) and Sohel (27), their wives Tanveer (25) and Reshma (23), and Waseem’s two children Aseem (3) and Pari (2). Sohel’s wife Reshma was eight months pregnant.
Preliminary probe indicated that the tailor had put his e-bike on charge and locked the shutters of his shop around 2am before heading upstairs. CCTV footage showed flames emerging from the shop around 3.30am. Minutes later, there was a blast. Investigation found that an inverter and batteries kept in the shop were exposed to the flames, leading to the blast.
Cops said fire brigade officials suspect that the cooler on the second floor sucked all the smoke in, which may have caused all seven to suffocate and pass out.

Source link