Ismail Baig no longer part of India rowing setup ahead of Asian Games | ACTPnews

Ismail Baig no longer part of India rowing setup ahead of Asian Games


Dronacharya awardee Ismail Baig, the long-serving rowing coach who has been part of several international campaigns and India’s medal-winning runs at the last seven Asian Games, is no longer part of the national setup, a development the veteran described as “shocking”.

Baig, who was also the rowing coach at the 2023 Hangzhou Asian Games, guided the Indian contingent to five medals, two silver and three bronze, at the continental showpiece.

“I am not part of the national team for the 2026 Asian Games,” Baig, widely regarded as the country’s most successful rowing coach, told PTI, adding that only the national federation could explain why he was left out of the coaching staff.

Rowing Federation of India (RFI) president Balaji Maradapa confirmed that Baig was not part of the coaching setup for the Asian Games, to be held in Aichi-Nagoya from September 19 to October 4.

“It is true that Mr Baig is not part of the scheme of things for the Asian Games,” Balaji said.

“Change is inevitable. We had to move ahead. He had been the coach for 23 years. He has done a great job, there is no doubt about it. He has done a lot. But today, somewhere there was stagnation, so we thought we should try some change,” he added.

Balaji said the federation was looking at foreign expertise with the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics in mind.

ALSO READ: Indian rowers undergoing demanding routine in preparation for Asian Games 2026

“We thought we should have some foreign coach to move ahead, because we cannot always remain at the Asian Games or Asian Championships level. With the Los Angeles Olympics in 2028 and the Government of India trying to push a lot of things, we need to up our ante and go a little bit more forward,” he said.

“We won 10 medals at the last Asian Championships in Vietnam. All the male athletes were under Australian coach Antony Patterson,” he added.

Baig said he had been ignored for the national camp ahead of the Asian Games, while maintaining that in the absence of any official communication from the federation, he continues to remain the national coach.

“They have not called me so far for the Asian Games camp. How can I attend the national camp without being called?” Baig said.

“I have been to seven Asian Games. For me, this is shocking, but no one in the federation is giving me any reply,” he added.

Asked whether he had sought clarification from the federation, Baig said he saw no reason to do so.

“I have not written to them. Why should I write? If they need me, they will call me.

“Maybe they don’t need me anymore, maybe they have found a better coach. Maybe we are old people following old techniques. Maybe they want better results than what I was delivering.”

Baig said the lack of formal communication had added to his disappointment.

“I believe they have an Australian coach now, but I have nothing to do with that. I have no idea why I haven’t been called. I have given my life to the federation. It really hurts, but some things are beyond our control. I am still the national coach. Having said that, they have not even given me any official letter.

“The fact that they have not given me any letter implies that I am still the national coach,” Baig added.

However, Balaji rejected that assertion, saying Baig “used to” be the national coach but was not anymore.

“He is saying that he is the national coach, but I don’t know. I have no idea that he has been nominated as the national coach by whom and when. I don’t think we have nominated anybody for the post of national coach. Right now, the team is training under Patterson since 2024.

“Does he have a letter saying he has been nominated as coach? If he can show he has been nominated as coach for one year, two years, three years, then definitely I can look into it,” Balaji added.

Published on May 20, 2026



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *