French Open 2026: Aryna Sabalenka cuts short news conference as top players protest over Grand Slam prize money | ACTPnews

Aryna Sabalenka speaks to the media at the 2026 French Open


The group of top-20 players collectively deciding to limit their media commitments is the latest step in a long-running dispute.

The players held an initial meeting with the Grand Slams last year and further talks have taken place since,but there has not been as much progress as the players would have liked.

The key issues the players want to change are:

  • Prize money – a higher ratio of prize money-to-revenue in acknowledgement of what players contribute to the financial success of the tournaments, with more money trickling down to lower-ranked players

The group has asked the Slams to pay 22% of their revenue in prize money by 2030, arguing the 15% the French Open is offering is inadequate.

This year’s Roland Garros prize money has increased by 9.5%, but the annual increase was 20% at last year’s US Open and nearly 16% at January’s Australian Open.

French Open tournament director Amelie Mauresmo said she was “very sad” about the action taken by the players but remained “deeply confident” the issue will be resolved.

Mauresmo and French Tennis Federation (FFT) president Gilles Moretton are due to meet with former WTA chairman Larry Scott – who represents the players in the dispute – on Friday.

The participating players would not be drawn on whether a boycott of the majors could be their next course of action.

“I don’t know if I want to start throwing around the ‘b-word’,” Fritz said.

“I don’t think we should really make big threats like that unless we’re fully ready to do it.

“But if it gets to a point where something does have to change if we are ignored, that’s a conversation to have.”



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *