Marnus Labuschagne’s Test career could be on the brink after a first-innings failure in the second Test against Bangladesh in Mackay, which led to a host of former players to call for him to be dropped or casting doubt over his international future.
Labuschagne was bowled for 4 by Shoriful Islam when the ball cannoned off his thigh pad into leg stump. That followed scores of 1 and 31 in the first Test, the second innings a missed opportunity to build on a start when he played around a full delivery from Taijul Islam. Speaking to Fox Cricket before play, Labuschagne said that dismissal was a result of wanting to “rush a bit”.
“You know there’s an opportunity to put a bit of pressure on the bowler and probably played a shot I didn’t really need to at that time of the game,” he added. “But it’s a new opportunity this week and all those lessons learned last week hopefully we can put them into place.”
There was clearly an element of bad luck in Labuschagne’s latest dismissal, the type that a struggling batter can seem to attract more than one in form. However, he had moved far enough across his crease to expose leg stump and missed the delivery. Given the state of the game, with Australia 101 runs ahead after rolling Bangladesh for 64, Labuschagne may not get the chance for a substantial second innings in Mackay.
“I admire what they [the selectors] are trying to do with Marnus,” Ricky Ponting said on Channel 7. “I admire that they tried to get him and get him back to his best, but it’s been way too long now. I’m on record as saying I would have made that change at the start of this series because I think there was enough evidence for me to suggest that he was a long way from rediscovering his best.
“He was unlucky today. There’s no doubt about that,” Ponting added. “But that tends to happen to you as well when you’re struggling and you’re trying to find some form and some rhythm. The worry that I had with him, I think there’s some technical deficiency there but he’s making the margin for error for the bowlers too great. With the length, he can’t score off the back foot. If you can’t score off the back foot in Test cricket then batting becomes a hard game. So I well and truly think it’s time to have a look at somebody else.
“Don’t get me wrong I’m not one for making panic change just because we lost last week. It wasn’t about that. Guys that I played with they would tell you that I’d do everything I could to keep them in these players in my side. I didn’t want to make change but when something stretches out as long as it has now and it’s well over two years since he’s made a Test match hundred.”
Labuschagne last scored a Test century in July 2023 at Old Trafford and since the start of the 2023-24 season has averaged 25.43 during which he was left out for last year’s series against West Indies. Ahead of this Test, head coach Andrew McDonald acknowledged that Labuschagne “needs some big runs”.
The day before, Test captain Pat Cummins said that from having bowled to Labuschagne at training he felt he was close to finding his best, although urged him to shelve the tinkering and keep the game simple. On Saturday his only scoring short was an edge through the cordon.
Mark Waugh, who also said Travis Head should return to the middle order, believed it could be the end of the line for Labuschagne.
“I do think Travis Head has got to bat in the middle order but, by doing that, you need to find another opener,” Waugh said on Fox Cricket. “Then you have got Marnus. How many more chances does he get? He might not get another bat in this game, so he will be hoping he does. He might have played his last game for Australia.”
It was a view echoed by Alyssa Healy. “I think they are going to have to force some change into the South African series and bring some fresh blood in,” she said. “I mean, there is no reason why not anymore because we are failing as is. It feels sad to stand here and say that but it is time to have another look.”
On Channel 7, Simon Katich said he saw a batter still unsure how to approach his game. “He’s finding himself in positions at the crease where he’s just not really committing one way or the other, rather than a front foot or the back foot, once that ball is released,” he said. “He’s in no man’s land.”
Australia’s selectors made a significant call for the Mackay Test by dropping Jake Weatherald after six Tests following scores of 23 and 0 in Darwin and recalling Matt Renshaw who made an uncertain 8 in his first innings back in the Test arena since 2023. It had been widely expected Weatherald would at least get both matches against Bangladesh.
However, having dropped Labuschagne last year in West Indies, then recalling him for the start of the Ashes after he dominated domestic cricket, only to see him still struggling, it would be very hard for the selectors to quickly go back Weatherald even if he churned out runs for Queensland in the upcoming summer.
Australia’s Test squad for the three-match series in South Africa is expected to be named in early September.
Source link
Post Views: 13