Karnataka Home Minister Priyank Kharge on Saturday clarified that IAS officer Gyanendra Kumar Gangwar, who was reported “missing”, was in his native place in Uttar Pradesh due to a family emergency involving his father’s health.
Priyank also said Gangwar had denied any link between his absence and the Enforcement Directorate’s recent searches at the Karnataka Public Service Commission, and was open to an inquiry if required.
Earlier in the day, reports had said Gangwar, currently the Director, MSME, Department of Industries and Commerce, had been uncontactable since August 20 and had reportedly booked a flight ticket to Delhi.
“There was some miscommunication; it has nothing to do with ED raids. When you (the media) asked me in the morning, we did not have much information, and I told you that he (Gangwar) had been unavailable for contact for the last couple of days,” Priyank said.
Speaking to reporters here, he said there was an emergency in Gangwar’s family as his father was a heart patient. Due to fluctuations in his father’s health, the officer had to leave suddenly, he said.
“He has written a letter to the officials concerned. A handwritten leave note stated that he needed to go to his native place for a week due to unavoidable circumstances and requested leave. As there was a festival yesterday, the government was not fully operational, and the leave could not be processed,” he added.
Noting that Gangwar’s official phone was switched off, the minister said the officer also had a personal phone but could not initially be reached as he was travelling and was subsequently at his native place.
“We contacted him, and he told us that he had applied for leave and informed the government. Due to a family issue concerning his father’s health, he could not communicate properly. He said he would return in a couple of days and communicate properly, and requested a week’s leave,” he said.
Priyank said reports that Gangwar had gone missing and that his absence was linked to the ED searches at the KPSC were untrue. He said he had personally spoken to the officer, who would return soon.
“Circumstances might have led to such conclusions, but nothing of that sort happened. While the circumstances might suggest a link to the KPSC, he (Gangwar) has very clearly said that he is open to an inquiry by any agency as a government servant. There are no allegations against him currently, and no one has filed an application seeking an inquiry against him; let this be very clear,” he said.
Priyank said Gangwar had gone to his native place in Uttar Pradesh.
A 2016-batch IAS officer, Gangwar had previously served as the controller of examinations at the Karnataka Public Service Commission. He was replaced from the post in March this year.
Earlier in the day, officials had said Gangwar’s reported absence was being looked into and that nothing could be confirmed at that stage. Priyank had said the government had received information about the matter but that no formal complaint had been lodged by his family or anyone else.
According to the information received by the government, the official was last traced to Kempegowda International Airport, the minister had said.
The Enforcement Directorate on Tuesday searched the premises of the KPSC, its chairman Sahukar, member Shanta Hosmani and some others as part of a money laundering investigation into an alleged scam in the recruitment examination for veterinary officers.
Responding to another question, Priyank said the state Cabinet on Friday decided to recommend to Governor Thaawarchand Gehlot that KPSC chairperson Shivashankarappa S Sahukar be suspended and an inquiry initiated against him.
Sahukar is facing several allegations of corruption. He is facing allegations of nepotism after his daughter was selected for a government job based on an allegedly false income certificate.
“The governor had suspended him (Sahukar), against which he approached the High Court, and the court asked the governor to decide as per the aid and advice of the government. The Cabinet discussed the matter yesterday,” Priyank said.
“The entire episode surrounding recruitment at the KPSC and the large-scale corruption associated with it is being discussed among the public, and the future of youngsters has indeed been put at stake. People are demanding answers on what BJP’s share in it is and what role the KPSC Chairman played in it,” he added.
He said, “Understanding the sentiments of the people, we have decided to go by the governor’s earlier decision to suspend him (Sahukar), and we have given the governor the same aid and advice. We have discussed the inquiry into all this.”
The governor had suspended Sahukar on July 13 for “not disclosing important information” and “misbehaviour”. However, on August 18, the High Court ordered his reinstatement, noting that the governor’s decision had not been taken with the aid and advice of the Cabinet.












