Zverev still hoping for entry to Grand Slam champions club | ACTPnews

Alexander Zverev, of Germany, right, pours sparkling wine over the head of Italian Jannik Sinner at the Madrid Open on May 3.


Germany’s Alexander Zverev has been knocking on the door for the best part of a decade but is still waiting ​to enter the club of Grand Slam champions, and time might be running ‌out.

Zverev, 29, will get another chance at Roland Garros, where ​he will chalk up a 41st Grand Slam main draw ⁠appearance. With one sizeable hurdle removed, he may not get a better one.

The World No. 3 will be seeded second following the withdrawal of defending champion Carlos ‌Alcaraz, and while he still faces a daunting task, he is capable of a deep run.

READ: ‘SEASters’ Eala, Tjen bring Southeast Asian sense of pride to Roland Garros

Few players have been as ‌consistent on the Parisian red clay as Zverev. After successive semifinal ‌appearances ⁠between 2021 and 2023, he reached the final in 2024 ⁠only to lose to Alcaraz. Last year he bowed out in the quarterfinals to Novak Djokovic.

Zverev possesses a damaging first serve and backhand and moves serenely on clay. The dilemma, though, is how he can ‌convince himself that his time is still to come.

While he would not have to contend with Sinner until the final, the mere presence of the Italian in the draw is enough to darken his ‌mood. Four times he has faced Sinner this season, and four ​times he has shaken hands defeated, without winning a set.

‘Big gap between Sinner and everybody else’

After the most recent beating, ⁠in the Madrid final when he won only three games, Zverev spelt out the problem.

“It’s not like I’m the only one losing to him. ‌I’m just losing to him more because I get to him every single time, and I lose to him. So, it’s like that,” he said.

Alexander Zverev, of Germany, right, pours sparkling wine over the head of Italian Jannik Sinner at the Madrid Open on May 3.
| Photo Credit:
AP

lightbox-info

Alexander Zverev, of Germany, right, pours sparkling wine over the head of Italian Jannik Sinner at the Madrid Open on May 3.
| Photo Credit:
AP

“I think there’s a big gap between Sinner and everybody else right now. It’s quite simple.”

Zverev suffered from fatigue at the Italian Open, where he lost to Luciano Darderi in the last 16, and pulled out ‌of his home city tournament in Hamburg with a back niggle.

He will need to ​be firing on all cylinders if he has any hope of breaking through the glass ceiling and might secretly be hoping World No. 1 Sinner’s relentless run of form will end before June 7 — ⁠the date of the men’s final.

Publicly, however, he remains hopeful that even if he crosses paths with the Italian again, he ‌can find the key.

“I do have to believe that I’m capable of beating him. I do have to believe it; otherwise we ​can just give him the trophy without playing the tournament,” Zverev said.

Published on May 20, 2026



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *